SC - Re: was Duke's powder now wine in Northern Europe

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Apr 2 19:59:27 PDT 2000

Hauviette replied to me:
> << I don't know that the Norse, at least in their home countries, drank
>  wine or hippocras (spiced wine), though. I would think that beers and
>  meads would be much more likely. The wine would have to be imported
>  and hippocras often seems to have been made from the lower quality
>  wines. Why import low quality wines? >>
>
> I'm not sure about Denmark, but Ireland was importing wine in great
> quantities in the 12th C according to several sources;

<snip of some wonderful info on wine in Ireland>

Thanks for the info on wine in Ireland.

I was actually thinking of Scandinavia when I said "at least in their
home countries". I had forgotten or wasn't thinking of their extended
visits in Ireland and northern England when I wrote that. And yes, it
appears some generally inferior wine was produced in England and Ireland
during these centuries before the weather turned cooler.

I'm still not sure you would go to the expense of importing wine and
then make hypocras out of it. Although they did make hypocras from
the wines grown in England and Ireland in England and Ireland.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net