SC - Re: saffron

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Sun Apr 2 23:54:31 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/2/00 11:20:04 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
mooncat at in-tch.com writes:

>  since I love saffron, and wanted to put this to good
>  use.  I used it in a cheese tart recipe, and was quite disappointed at the
>  results--very little additional color, and no taste difference at all,
that
>  could detect.  Looking back, it must be safflower that I got.

I am taking a big risk by saying this, but saffron, IMHO, does not really
impart that much flavor to begin with (perhaps a little "dusty curtain"
taste), and it is very over priced.  I know, there are all those farm workers
out there, hand picking the little stamen....but why?  For the flavor it
imparts (and the color, for that matter), you may as well use annatto or
turmeric.  Or, dare I say it, buy one of those industrial sized vats of
Yellow #5...  We tend to "worship"  spices these days, simply because of
their cost or rarity, and without, in some cases, any regard to their quality
or benefit.  I am sure that there are many people on this list who will turn
red with rage when they read this, but this is just my opinion.  To each
his/her own.  If you love the musty flavor of saffron, then bully for you.
I, for one, could take it or leave it.  I would much rather use something
else.  Let me know what you good folks think, as I have come to respect your
opinions highly.

Balthazar of Blackmoor
(who is, as we speak, waiting for his new cookery books to arrive, so he can
begin planning a medieval feast at Darkwell)