SC - molasses

Christina van Tets cjvt at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 3 15:55:53 PDT 2000

Hello the list!

Here in Israel, the question from last week about the different names for
sugars in particularly apposite - particularly for me, as I don't speak
American English, which all the shops do.  I've just about figured out most
of the stuff, barring treacle, which I understand I should look for under
the name of molasses (is that right?).  So what is golden syrup?  I wanted
to make Anzac biscuits (Anzac Day coming up and all), and have no idea what
the Americans call golden syrup.  Any ideas?

Incidentally, after reading all the guff about Vegemite recently, my lord
husband admitted that when he was with the army one of his friends told
visiting military septics - um, Americans - that Vegemite was chocolate
spread.  Apparently it was very funny to see them ladling it onto
icecream...

Cairistiona