SC - Re: saffron

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Mon Apr 3 15:13:11 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/3/2000 2:59:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
CBlackwill at aol.com writes:

<< I am taking a big risk by saying this, but saffron, IMHO, does not really
 impart that much flavor to begin with (perhaps a little "dusty curtain"
 taste), and it is very over priced.  I know, there are all those farm
workers
 out there, hand picking the little stamen....but why?  For the flavor it
 imparts (and the color, for that matter), you may as well use annatto or
 turmeric.  >>

Now I would say otherwise.  To me, saffron has a very potent smell and flavor
that nothing else can reproduce.  And his Grace Cariadoc finds enough taste
in it to dislike it, and to therefore use as little as possible in any given
redaction.  But I suppose mileage may vary on this as other topics =)

Brangwayna Morgan