SC - artificial

Marian Deborah Rosenberg Marian.Deborah.Rosenberg at washcoll.edu
Mon Apr 3 17:02:04 PDT 2000

Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 03:35:16 EST
From: CBlackwill at aol.com
Subject: Re: SC - saffron

In a message dated 3/29/00 12:18:00 AM Pacific Standard Time,
stefan at texas.net writes:

> ne of the main things to be aware of is to make sure you are actually
>  getting saffron and not an imitation.

Is there such a bird as "imitation saffron"?    I would think that U.S. Truth
in Menu Laws (or Standards of Fill, etc) would prohibit the sale of something
labeled saffron, if it was not really saffron (of some grade or another.)  Of
course, this is not a U.S. only list we are on, is it? Caveat Imptor

- ---
I was eating a Nestle chocolate product the other day which was labelled in
spanish and english.  Mexican chocolate type stuff, the sugar and cocoa powder
and cinammon chunks.  Wonderful.  One of the ingredients listed was "artificial
cinammon" and considering that some places have different laws I was wondering
whether this referred to cassia or whether they have an artificial cinammon
which looks like cinammon (brown powder) and tastes like cinammon.

- -M