SC - long-life milk

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Mon Apr 3 23:11:11 PDT 2000

baronsig at peganet.com writes:

>     A large part of why Europeans are objecting to genetically modified and
>  irradiated foods has to do with protecting their markets, and the political
>  clout carried by the eurofarmers. They have an entirely different approach
>  to food production, and as a result, Europeans spend a much higher
>  percentage of their incomes on food than do Americans. I'm not going to
>  argue quality, as that's just WAY too subjective, but it has a lot to do
>  with how food is regarded by consumers.

Actually, I have a very good friend who hails from Wales (in coat and
tails?), and she and I discussed this very topic in depth last year.  Mostly
we talked about genetically modified corn, and why the English are so
adamantly against its use.  I argued that it was because, due to a
"termination gene", it can't be propogated, and therefore Americans are
guaranteed a constant market demand.  She argued that "while this sucks",
it's not the main reason.  Her statement was that, due to the genetic
modifications to make the corn pest resistant, American's have inadvertantly
nearly decimated the Monarch Butterfly population on the East Coast.  So,
it's not all about economics.

Balthazar of Blackmoor