SC - meaning of Dutch words

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Tue Apr 4 07:48:38 PDT 2000

>From my Dutch friend......

<<  Dear Phillippa,
 Oh boy, now you ask me something: "sulte". I have not the faintest idea, it
does not ring a single bell. Maybe you can be a bit more explicite (for
instance what is it used for?). Maybe you mean "sukade" which is used in the
famous Dutch Christmas and Easter-stols (a luxuary bread). As I have no
dictionary with me at the moment I have to find the English translation for
it tonight. But sukade is sure very sweet and it consists also from sugar.

As far as the apther words are concerned:
 Potsuiker: I guess you mean "poedersuiker", which is powdered sugar, which
is used for decorating pastry or pancakes.

 Meelsuiker: meel is another word for flour and suiker means sugar. So maybe
 it has something to do with sugar that is added to flour, but this is a wild
 guess...

 Broodsuiker: brood is the Dutch name for bread and suiker is sugar. So if
 maybe this is the sugar that can be added in bread.

 I am sorry that I can't be of more help, but this is everything that I can
 think of.

 Hugs,
 Marijke >>