SC - Passover

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Tue Apr 4 11:52:06 PDT 2000

Let me see if I can answer this post in a factual, straight forward way.

First:  In the 2 Passover recipes I posted yesterday, one called for bread
crumbs and matzoh meal.  For Passover use, make that: all matzoh meal.  The
bread crumbs are a no-no because they contain levening which is a no-no for
Passover,  AND, as another poster pointed out, make sure the matzoh products
you use say "Kosher for Passover".  It needs to have this *hecksher* (stamp
of rabbinic approval) because then we know that the dough used in the product
contains no levening and was handled in a manner as to prevent rising.

 additions to the more literal interpretation that was actually laid down in
 Old Testament writings.>>>>>>

Ras, Speaking from an orthodox point of view, the rules for keeping kosher
have remained almost unchanged since the middle ages when they were codified.
 Speaking from a not Orthodox point of view, once you decide to do *whatever*
it ceases to come from G-d, but rather comes from humans so it just "ain't
Law".  If I went back in time to my many-generations ago grandmother, I would
know EXACTLY how to act and what to do BECAUSE I know halacha, which is the
same today as it was from the 12 C to Tudor times to Today!
(And I sill speak to you privately _Sir_  about your use of the word
*onerous*)

The rules for keeping kosher have remained strkingly the same throughtout the
centuries.  That which comes from G-d does not need to change and those who
change the rules are not following Halacha.

EXCUSE ME????? a) again that word onerous and b) "outside period"???  You are
mistaken My Lord.!!!!!!

This is a VERY misleading statement.  There are 2 groups of Jews.  The
Ashkenazi  (Eastern & Western Europe) and the Sephardic  ( Middle East,
Bulgaria, & Italy) The "rules" are the same, for these  2 groups. The only
difference I can think of, is that the Sephardic community is allowed to eat
rice during Passover.  (the explanation of why is long & complicated and will
make my head explode if I have to type it in now)
Anyway, my point is, that Halacha  (THE LAW) is basicly the same for all
Jews.  Ras, you make it sound like we have a million tiny factions.

As to eating Kosher at events.  If a person were truly Orthodox and wanted to
keep kosher, they would HAVE TO bring in all their own food.  Because even if
Lord Ras, for instance, was kind enough to bring in a kosher chicken, that
chicken would CEASE to be kosher the minute it came in contact with any of my
lord's cooking utensils or pots.  AND the kitchen would not be kosher either.
 So these gentles wanting to be kosher AND EAT THE FEAST can only be
"kosher-like" but they wouldn't be keeping kosher. (I guess if they just ate
a piece of uncut fruit or an uncut, uncooked vegetable.....)

Well anyway........
this has been Phillipa Seton who is now jumping off her soap box.  But has
felt quite justified in giving this little she'ur (lesson) because I was
raised kosher, keep kosher and have studied and taught Halacha and Jewish
history for many of my years for 45 years!!!!