SC - artificial

Marian Deborah Rosenberg Marian.Deborah.Rosenberg at washcoll.edu
Tue Apr 4 15:07:18 PDT 2000

Date: Tue, 4 Apr 2000 02:11:04 EDT
From: CBlackwill at aol.com
Subject: Re: SC - artificial

Marian.Deborah.Rosenberg at washcoll.edu writes:

> I was eating a Nestle chocolate product the other day which was labelled in
>  spanish and english.  Mexican chocolate type stuff, the sugar and cocoa
> powder
>  and cinammon chunks.  Wonderful.  One of the ingredients listed was "
> artificial
>  cinammon" and considering that some places have different laws I was
> wondering
>  whether this referred to cassia or whether they have an artificial cinammon
>  which looks like cinammon (brown powder) and tastes like cinammon.

I am not aware of an artificial cinnamon, unless they are referring to
"cinnamon flavor" or "cinnamon oil".  With cinnamon in such abundance
worldwide, I don't see why they would need to use an artificial version.
It's not overly expensive.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

- ---
this is what I was thinking, and I was wondering since cassia and cinammon are
not quite the same thing was this an instance of perhaps labelling laws or some
such as the constituency of this product was not homogenous and there were some
brown powdery flecks that looked like cinammon and when carefully removed
tasted just like cinammon.

- -M