SC - soup question

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Tue Apr 4 18:19:46 PDT 2000

mercedes at geotec.net writes:

> I've had rutabaga and turnip and I've been told what parsnips taste like -
>  what does kohlrabi taste like?
>
>  1 kohlrabi, quartered (optional)

Kohlrabi tastes somewhat similar to a bitter cabbage - turnip cross breed
(which it is not).  One important step in the cooking of this vegetable is to
change the water a few times during the cooking process.  This will help to
mellow the bitterness (which is not pronounced if cooked in this manner, and
actually adds a bit of depth to the dish it is used in.)  I enjoy it boiled
tender, and then sauteed in bacon drippings with a splash of white wine or
wine vinegar.  Salt and pepper, too, natch.

Balthazar of Blackmoor