SC - OOP: Mahtzo Ball Soup

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Tue Apr 4 18:19:55 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/4/00 11:54:01 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
TerryD at Health.State.OK.US writes:

> If you don't post the recipe, somebody will take after you as a "spoon
>  tease."  Recipes are always welcome.  If they aren't SCA "period," stick an
>  OOP (Out Of Period) on the subject line, which this thread already has.
>
>  Bear

Okay, Bear.   Don't want to be labeled a "spoon tease".
The two recipes which follow are fairly similar in ingredients, but the first
one is a little more hardy (it still contains the vegetables, and is not
clarified).  I tend to serve the first on in the winter, and the second in
the summer (when a lighter soup is called for):

Mahtzo Ball Soup 1

1 large stewing hen (or frying chicken), boned and diced, fat and bones
reserved
1/2 cup loosely packed minced fresh parsley (has to be fresh)
1 cup peeled, chopped carrots, peelings reserved
1 large onion, peeled, chopped, peelings reserved
Salt and white pepper to taste

1 cup KfP Mahtzo Meal (I buy the Manischewits stuff)
1 Tablespoon rendered chicken fat (from reserved fat mentioned above)
1 large, fresh egg

2 quarts water

Procedure:
1. In a large (3 quart) stock pot, place the bones and vegetable peelings,
and bring to a boil, skimming the surface as necessary.  Reduce heat, and
simmer for 1 hour, covered, over medium heat.
2.  Remove bones and peelings to a sieve or colander, and press over stock
pot to release all juices.  Add diced chicken to the pot and simmer for 15
minutes.
3.  Add chopped vegetables (except parsley) and simmer an additional 10
minutes, covered.
4.  While vegetables are simmering, prepare mahtzo balls by mixing all
ingredients into a small bowl and placing this in the refrigerator for about
10 minutes.  When vegetables are tender, form the mahtzo mix into 1/2 to 1
inch balls, and drop gently into simmering soup.  Cook, covered, an
additional 10 minutes.  Add chopped parsley and salt and pepper to taste.
Serve very hot in deep bowls.

Mahtzo Ball Soup 2

1 large stewing hen, boned, fat and bones reserved
Meat from hen above, ground fine
2 large carrots, washed and roughly chopped
2 large onions, unpeeled, quartered
1/2 cup loosely packed parsley, chopped fine
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 quarts water
salt and pepper to taste

1 cup KfP Mahtzo Meal
1 large egg
2 Tablespoons rendered chicken fat (from list above)

Procedure:
1. Prepare clearmeat by combining ground chicken and beaten eggs.  Set aside
in refrigerator.
2.  Prepare stock by placing bones, vegetables (except parsley) and water in
stock pot and bring to a boil.  Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 2 hours.
 Strain bones and vegetables and discard them.  Pre chill the stock, and then
place in refrigerator overnight, or until cold.
3.  Skim any accumulated fat from surface of cold stock.  Add clearmeat and
stir vigorously.  Place on medium heat and slowly bring to a gentle simmer.
The clearmeat will begin to solidify and rise to the surface, gathering up
any particles which may cloud the stock.  As the "raft" rises, gently skim
any impurities from the top, making sure not to disturb the raft.  When scum
ceases to rise, very gently ladle clear stock from the top (or from the
bottom, if you have a marmite with spigot).  Discard the raft and any
residual impurities left in the bottom of the pot.
4.  Prepare the mahtzo meal by adding all ingredients and mixing to combine.
Refrigerate for 8 to 10 minutes while clarified stock simmers gently.
5.  Form the mahtzo mix into 1/2 to 1 inch balls and add gently to stock.
Simmer, covered, for 10 minutes.
6.  Add parsley, salt and pepper to taste, and serve hot in deep bowls.
7.  Enjoy.