SC - What is "period"? - long

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Apr 4 23:00:04 PDT 2000

Brandu quotes some info from Corpora and says:
> These statements are also not new, having been in every version of these
> documents for at least the last 15 years.

Yes, more or less. For those interested in the esoterica of SCA history
you might be interested in this file in the SCA-INC section of the
Florilegium:
corpora-early     (99K)  3/31/95    Early SCA Corpora and bylaws. 1972-74.

I happened to see these phrases in that file:
> Bylaws:
> "III. OBJECTIVES AND PURPOSES
> The Society shall be dedicated primarily to the promotion of research
> and re-creation in the field of pre-17th-century Western culture, as stated
> in greater detail in Article II of the Society's Articles of Incorporation.
> "
>
> AOI:
> "II
> This corporation is a nonprofit public benefit corporation and is not organized
> for the private gain of any person. It is organized under the Nonprofit Public
> Benefit Corporation Law for charitable purposes. The purposes for which
> this corporation is formed include:
> a) Research and education in the field of pre-17th-Century Western Culture.
> b) Generally, to engage in research, publish material of relevance and interest
> to the field of pre-17th-Century Western Culture; to present activities and
> events which re-create the environment of said era, such as, but not limited
> to, tournaments, jousts, fairs, dances, classes, et cetera; to acquire authentic
> or reproduced replicas of chattels representative of said era; and to collect a
> library."

> ORGANIZATIONAL HANDBOOK :
> "Scope of the Society: Period and Culture"
> Excerpts follow:
> "The Society is based on the landed nobility of the European Middle Ages and
> Renaissance. Their dress and music, their literature and sports, and above all
> the chivalric ideals of their period, all serve to unify our events and activities. "
>
> "The people we've chosen for models were fond of play-acting and pageantry;
> they would happily base tournaments and revels on ancient history and distant
> lands, so we can use themes from outside medieval and Renaissance Europe
> as long as we keep our main period as an anchor. "
>
> "The Society's organized activities reflect the courtly life of the Middle Ages and
> Renaissance. If we hold a Roman games, the participants are assumed to be
> period Europeans playing at ancient Rome; you can try to act like a real ancient
> Roman, but you can't complain if the atmosphere is not what you regard as
> authentic. Likewise, you can be an Asian or African guest at a European court,
> but you cannot recreate your homeland outside your own household - like any
> long-term visitor in a foreign land, you are the one who will have to adapt to the
> customs you find around you."

I hope we don't get to far off our main topic of food here. I got *ten*
digests today. I don't think I can handle this volume indefinitely. :-(
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net