SC - Apples for Cider

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Wed Apr 5 00:40:28 PDT 2000

Greetings to this fair assembly!

I am anticipating the arrival of a much awaited strain of wild yeast from
Lmbeek (spelling?), Belgium (the home of that now famous sour beer, the
Lambic), and was considering making some cider out of a portion of it.  Does
anyone have any information of which particular family of apples would be
most appropriate for a "period style" cider?  I would like to use "belgian
apples", but have no information regarding which, if any, were grown in
medieval times.  If all else fails, I will use Granny Smith.  I am looking
for a tart apple cider, but the apples themselves need not be tart.  The
yeast should take care of that nicely.  Any ideas?

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Such a strange fascination, as I wallow in waste
That such a trivial victory could put a smile on your face.