SC - sulte

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Wed Apr 5 07:04:41 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 5 Apr 00,, that Christina van Tets wrote:

> The glossary, which seems to be fairly on the ball, says it's a salted cut
> of meat from the neck/throat.  The reason I was asking about it is that I
> don't want to have to say 'salted meat from the neck/throat of a pig'
> umpteen times if I don't have to, and was hoping we might actually have a
> word for it ourselves.

I don't have an answer for you, but I'll put forth some sympathy.  Any
translation project inevitably runs into several of Those Words -- the
ones that concisely express in a syllable or two some concept which
requires a sentence or two to render in another language.  My personal
bugbear is "migajon".  It means bread crumb... sorta.  Not the little
things that decorate your kitchen counter after you've made some toast,
but the big white chunk that is left after you remove all the crust from a
loaf.  English doesn't really have a word for it.  And recipe after recipe
says "take a 'migajon' and..."  I finally settled on "crustless bread", but
I'm not happy with it.

One possible option, that I have used for other terms, is to leave the
original word in place and footnote it.

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann