SC - Apples for Cider

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Apr 5 09:20:57 PDT 2000

CBlackwill at aol.com writes:

<< Does
 anyone have any information of which particular family of apples would be
 most appropriate for a "period style" cider?  I would like to use "Belgian
 apples," but have no information regarding which, if any, were grown in
 medieval times.  If all else fails, I will use Granny Smith.  >>

That's a hard one. Of varieties that are still grown commercially that
existed in period, the 'Lady Apple' is the most widely available in
supermarkets. I believe Stefan has a file of period apple varieties still
grown in his Flori-thingy.

Granny Smith is a good all purpose variety for juice that is not cloyingly
sweet t as is Macintosh (my favorite). I would just go ahead and use whatever
you feel is appropriate since the likelihood of finding reasonably priced
Lady apples at this time of year is slim at least in my neck of the woods.

Ras