SC - Armored turnips

Kerri Canepa kerric at pobox.alaska.net
Wed Apr 5 19:43:05 PDT 2000

Rayne,

Here's yet another version of armored turnips. BTW the the powder douce we used
includes sugar. I suspect that it will taste pretty tasty without sugar if your
powder douce comes without.

Platina book 8

Armored Turnips
Cut up turnips that have been either boiled or cooked under the ashes. Likewise
do the same with rich cheese, not too ripe. These should be smaller morsels than
the turnips, though. In a pan greased with butter or liquamen, make a layer of
cheese first, then a layer of turnips, and so on, all the while pouring in spice
and some butter, from time to time. This dish is quickly cooked and should be
eaten quickly, too.

4 cups turnips, peeled and cut into thin pieces
6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
2 cups gruyere cheese, grated
2 tbsp powder douce

Preheat oven to 350°.
Put turnips in a pot, cover with water and boil for 10 minutes. Drain.
Pour a little butter in bottom of a pan, spread half of the turnips over that in
a layer, cover with 1 cup of cheese, sprinkle butter over it and 1 tbsp of
powder douce. Repeat with another layer of turnips, cheese, butter and spices.
Put in oven and bake until cheese is melted, about 30 minutes.