SC - RE: Gerard's Herbal

RANDALL DIAMOND ringofkings at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 5 19:55:31 PDT 2000

Frederich comments:
Take a copy of Gerard, a copy of Maude Grieve's Herbal
(out of period, but much closer to mundania) and a good
herbal written within the last 7 years and you're on your
way to a first draft taxonomic map. I would peronally add
Culpepper to that list between Gerard and Grieve just for
an added point of reference. (Note I'm only listing easily
accessible documents...)<<<<<

Culpepper.  Hmmmm.....    I think the best way to utilize
Culpepper is to take it one or two two pages a day and
put it to use.  My only complaint with my copies is they
do not come in perforated rolls and the pages are not quite
soft enough.   Seriously,  Culpepper is not a good source
for any kind of serious study of botanical taxonomy.  The
editor of the NATIONAL ENQUIRER couldn't write a
more wacky, mumbo-jumbo herbal.

ever made, let me be the first to very selfishly offer you
any and all help you will need transfering this information
into a format readible for Mac IBM/clone or Unix workstation.<<<<<

Actually, the plant list I have does go through Gerard completely
(and Turner and a several othe herbals) though I only had the
abridged version.  I would like to go through the bells and whistles
edition and suppement my original data lists.
The data is on a 2meg Mac Classic using OS6.   I can't get OS7
Macs to read my diskettes much less an OS8.  I think I can get
the machine to copy on diskettes and I can mail them if you think
you can pry the data out and transfer it to a PC readable format.
If so, we can put some of it on the list.  I was accumulating the
data for publication as a Compleat Anachronist on Period Gardening
so I would not care to put it all out for public consumption just
yet.  Email me privately about what I need to get to you to
translate from Macinese.

Akim Yaroslavich
"No glory comes without pain"