SC - What to call the dish you served. Re: OT Was: Saffron

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Wed Apr 5 22:11:38 PDT 2000

At 10:00 PM -0400 4/4/00, RichSCA at aol.com wrote:
>This I agree with:  Back to my original definitions. If you use Period foods
>- the dish is called a "period dish".  Make a dish from a documented
>historical source, then it is called a "documented/redacted dish".  I do not
>have a problem with the word Period.  I don't like the way it sounds, but it
>says what I want.  The SCA timeframe is the time "period of.....".  So a
>"period" dish is one what uses foods within the established time frame.  If
>you don't like the word "period", then call it what you want... it is just
>not documented.   And in my book... you don't HAVE to call it anything.  Just
>serve it and if I like it... I'll eat it.

I think describing something as a "period dish" when what you mean is
that it is made from period ingredients is likely to be
misinterpreted. We wouldn't call cotton bluejeans period garb,
although cotton cloth was used in period. I, at least, would assume
that it meant the dish was from a period recipe--i.e. what you mean
by "documented/redacted dish."

David/Cariadoc
http://www.best.com/~ddfr/