SC - Translating Older Macintosh Documents

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Thu Apr 6 03:51:42 PDT 2000

> Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 21:55:31 -0500
> From: "RANDALL DIAMOND" <ringofkings at mindspring.com>
> Subject: SC - RE: Gerard's Herbal

> ever made, let me be the first to very selfishly offer you
> any and all help you will need transfering this information
> into a format readible for Mac IBM/clone or Unix workstation.<<<<<

<snip>
> The data is on a 2meg Mac Classic using OS6.   I can't get OS7
> Macs to read my diskettes much less an OS8.  I think I can get
> the machine to copy on diskettes and I can mail them if you think
> you can pry the data out and transfer it to a PC readable format.
> If so, we can put some of it on the list.  I was accumulating the
> data for publication as a Compleat Anachronist on Period Gardening
> so I would not care to put it all out for public consumption just
> yet.  Email me privately about what I need to get to you to
> translate from Macinese.

FWIW, I've done this in the past, and what you do is open your docs in
_System_ 6 (There's also no OS 7... the designation begins with 8,
coincidentally the OS produced after the Unholy Marriage, soon to bear
fruit as MacWindows X) and save them as plain text. System 7 seems to be
able to handle that a lot better.

Failing that, there's always CanOpener or MacLink Plus...

I'm also happy to physically help with this, in case it's necessary.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com