SC - SC-Mongolian hot pot?

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Thu Apr 6 06:10:14 PDT 2000

- --=====================_156251063==_.ALT

At 03:59 AM 4/6/00 -0700,kelsaborg said something like:
>I am looking for someone to tell me more about
>mongolian hot pot...

Mongolian hot pot is where the westerners (may have) ripped off their
fondue  pot concept from. Everybody sits around the table, selects what
they want to eat, drops it in the pot (boiling broth), pulls it out when
its done,

>I was reciently in china and had
>some as well as Jao Zi and Bao Zi these are forms of
>dumplings very very good stuff... but I want to be
>able to make these things...

Many thanks
Kelsa

I pulled out my ever trusty rather good source of Chinese recipes, because
I've made jiao-zi and bao-zi LOTS of times, but the recipes weren't in that
book. *BOGGLE* .. so where did I find the recipes at???? I sure hope it
wasn't simply oral tradition from my teacher (mandarin dialect).  I've
gotten to the point where I no longer refer to anything written to make the
Tea Eggs for war (aka Hundred Year Eggs I believe). (Boiled eggs that are
cracked a bit then boiled and marinaded in a soya/tea/spice combination).

But anyway, once I couldn't find the jiao-zi and bao-zi recipes in my
favorite book, I did a quick web search.

at:
http://www.sh.com/china/cuisine/home/home08/recipe08.htm

I found several good noodle and dumpling recipes, including jiao-zi
recipe.  It is given in both the American and British measurements (cups
and grams).
The bao-zi would be the Juicy Steamed Dumplings or the Steamed Port
Dumplings. I've actually seen these made using canned biscuits as a short
cut btw.

Now,I'm going to go nuts until I excavate just WHICH book has those recipes
though. Hmmmm.  Oh, the book I referring to here is: The Complete Oriental
Cookbook, Edited by Isabel Moore and Jonnie Godfrey, published by Marshall
Cavendish books Ltd (1985).  It has a section for China,Japan, India, then
they lump all the SE Asian countries into one GIANT section. It is given in
the 2 column American/British measures.

Have fun with the chinese cooking!!

Regards,
Maggie MacD.

- --=====================_156251063==_.ALT

At 03:59 AM 4/6/00 -0700,kelsaborg said something like:<br>
about<br>
mongolian hot pot...</blockquote><br>
Mongolian hot pot is where the westerners (may have) ripped off their
fondue  pot concept from. Everybody sits around the table, selects
what they want to eat, drops it in the pot (boiling broth), pulls it out
when its done, <br>
some as well as Jao Zi and Bao Zi these are forms of<br>
dumplings very very good stuff... but I want to be<br>
able to make these things... </blockquote><br>
Many thanks<br>
Kelsa<br>
I pulled out my ever trusty rather good source of Chinese recipes,
because I've made jiao-zi and bao-zi LOTS of times, but the recipes
weren't in that book. *BOGGLE* .. so where did I find the recipes at????
I sure hope it wasn't simply oral tradition from my teacher (mandarin
dialect).  I've gotten to the point where I no longer refer to
anything written to make the Tea Eggs for war (aka Hundred Year Eggs I
believe). (Boiled eggs that are cracked a bit then boiled and marinaded
in a soya/tea/spice combination).<br>
But anyway, once I couldn't find the jiao-zi and bao-zi recipes in my
favorite book, I did a quick web search.<br>
at: <br>
</a>I found several good noodle and dumpling recipes, including jiao-zi
recipe.  It is given in both the American and British measurements
(cups and grams).<br>
The bao-zi would be the Juicy Steamed Dumplings or the Steamed Port
Dumplings. I've actually seen these made using canned biscuits as a short
cut btw.<br>
Now,I'm going to go nuts until I excavate just WHICH book has those
recipes though. Hmmmm.  Oh, the book I referring to here is: The
Complete Oriental Cookbook, Edited by Isabel Moore and Jonnie Godfrey,
published by Marshall Cavendish books Ltd (1985).  It has a section
for China,Japan, India, then they lump all the SE Asian countries into
one GIANT section. It is given in the 2 column American/British
measures.<br>
Have fun with the chinese cooking!!<br>
Regards,<br>
Maggie MacD.<br>