SC - Gerard

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Thu Apr 6 07:16:55 PDT 2000

>  >>>>Has anyone ever gone through and listed his multi lingual references to
>things?  Looks like a good project if it has not been done.  Or looked up
>what modern equivalents are.<<<<

Not that I know of.

I've made a list of his culinary references & posted that here:
http://members.aol.com/renfrowcm/gerardp1.html

I have the Dover edition, btw.  I got it from Dover several years ago.
There is another, better, edition:
Gerard, John.  The Herball or Generall Historie of Plants.  London, 1597.
Rpt. Walter J. Johnson, Inc.  Theatrum Orbis Terrarum, Ltd.  Keizersgracht
526, Amsterdam, 1974.   This is a very large 2-volume set, & I wish I owned
it.  I borrowed it through ILL.

 The Dover edition has been reduced, so that the Greek characters of the
plant names are for the most part illegible. The modern introduction lists
the texts from which Gerard 'borrowed'.

regards,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
cindy at thousandeggs.com