SC - Liquamen question

grizly at mindspring.com grizly at mindspring.com
Thu Apr 6 08:43:00 PDT 2000

Well,

As an appreciator of self-dgiested fish products, I will floeat my hypothesis (read undocumented and as yet untried. . . hurray for Spring!) about this.  Liquamen appears to be made with fish like mackeral that are valuable because they are deep or cold water fish.  I believe it was on this list that I read that these fish have a high concentration of digestive enzymes do to cold water; at higher temps of being in sunlight rather than freezing water these enzymes facilitate the breakdown of the fish flesh and bone into the sauce we all know and love.

Mackeral and the like are very oily fish.  PErhaps the oily quality left in the sauce provides enough fat to make it useful as a pan treatment as well as the added benefit of flavoring.  I'll let you know in a month or so when my batch gets started and finished.

niccolo
sca-cooks at ansteorra.org wrote:
> In a pan greased with butter or liquamen,
In reading this line from the Armored Turnips recipe, I have to wonder
about the greasy quality of liquamen.  I was not given to understand that
it was an oily sauce, more of a dark brown fermented fish sauce.  Is
there sufficient oil in liquamen to make a grease substitute, or is the
reference talking about either greasing the pan or coating it with
liquamen?
Christianna
pondering the finer points of rotted fish
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.