SC - Looking for guidance

Morses3 at aol.com Morses3 at aol.com
Thu Apr 6 18:53:43 PDT 2000

Greetings,

After a lengthy time of lurking on this list (and learning a lot along the
way), I think my personal life is going to settle down and let me actually
start going to events instead of just reading about them. I can't live
vicariously through all of you forever :-)

I have been trying to buy books related to medieval cooking, some of which
I've gotten after reading recommendations on this list, but have no equipment
yet, other than what my everyday kitchen holds.  Fortunately, my grandmother
taught me to cook as a teenager, so I'm a competent "seat of the pants" cook,
and can read a recipe to come up with an edible meal, but I'm hoping that the
members of this list can give me some guidance.

Since I know for sure that I'm interested in pursuing this and can commit
now to acquiring things I need, what books and equipment does everyone
consider to be a "must have" item to use themselves. Conversely, what should
I stay away from so I don't waste my time or money heading in the wrong
direction(yes, I have a copy of "Fabulous Feasts" but it was a gift!).If I'm
going to do this at all, I'd rather start out right and not do it over........

Also, what would everyone recommend as starting recipes to get my feet wet
actually cooking this type of food to get a feel for how to combine things,
etc.? I'm thinking that offering to be a kitchen helper to some of the head
cooks already planning feasts might also be a good place to start. At the
very least, I'm a good dishwasher.....

Perry

No name, no garb, no persona--yet!