SC - Looking for guidance

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Thu Apr 6 23:44:32 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/6/00 10:06:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
rygbee at montana.com writes:

<<
 I recommend a large, heavy mortar and pestle.  I paid $39 for my granite one
 at an oriental grocery in Missoula, MT.  I use it all the time.  Forget the
 decorative crockery ones.

 Raoghnailt

    That would indeed be wonderful for dealing with large amounts of
something, but to grind up just enough cumin, etc., for a small dish, I
*love* my stoneware Japanese mortar. This kind--I was told they are called
"suribatchi" (sp?)--have shallow grooves combed into the clay while it is
soft, and they do a marvelous job of grinding up hard things like whole
spices. They work less well for making smooth pastes, but I tend to wimp out
and use a food processor for those, anyway. ;-)

                Ldy Diana