SC - More garlic recipes OOP

RichSCA at aol.com RichSCA at aol.com
Sat Apr 8 00:32:46 PDT 2000

AOL deleted many of my messages (unread) so I did not get any about the
recipes I posted. (Have I mentioned that I hate AOL? Only have it temporally
'cause it is free.)

Anyway, I saw this comment from Lucrezia and thought she might still have a
few extra garlic(s) laying around to use up so here is a few others from my
(for the moment) FAVORITE cookbook:

Quick 40-clove Chicken

6 boneless chicken breast halves
  Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup olive oil
40 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  Season chicken all over with salt and pepper, drizzle with oil, arrange in
single layer in a 13X9 baking dish, Scatter garlic cloves over chicken.
 Cover and bake 20 minutes.  Sprinkle with parsley.  Bake, uncovered, 10
minutes longer.

Garlic Broth
(The book says that this is a good vegetarian substitute for chicken or meat
stocks - use as a base for bean or vegetable soups)

2 1/2 quarts water
  4 heads garlic, separated into cloves
  1 onion, sliced 1/2 inch thick
  2 leeks, sliced 1/2 inch thick
  2 celery stalks, sliced 1/2 inch thick
  2 carrots, sliced 1/2 inch thick
  1 unpeeled potato, quartered
  6 parsley sprigs
  4 thyme sprigs
  1 bay leaf
  3/4 tsp black peppercorns
  salt

Place 1 cup of water in a large pot over high heat.  Add garlic, onion, and
leeks.  Bring to a boil.  Cover, then reduce heat to low and simmer 10
minutes.  Add remaining water, celery, carrots, potato, parsley, thyme, bay
leaf, and peppercorns.

Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour.  Strain stock, pressing as
much liquid from the vegetables as possible.  Season with salt to taste.
Cool.

Refrigerate up to 1 week or freeze up to 3 months.

And if you have any garlic left over you can use them in the dessert:  :-)

Garlic Creme Caramel

1 cup sugar
6 garlic cloves, peeled
1 head roasted garlic (* see recipe below)
8 egg yolks  (oh, here is a use for all those egg yolks someone had extra
last week)
1 (12-oz) can evaporated milk

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

In a small heavy skillet, place 1/2 cup of the sugar.  Cook over medium heat
until sugar is caramelized.  Immediately pour hot syrup into 6 (6-oz) custard
cups.  Drop 1 fresh garlic cloves in the center of each.

In blender, combine roasted cloves, egg yolks, evaporated milk, and remaining
sugar.  Process to blend.  Strain mixture into custard cups.  Arrange cups in
baking pan and pour water to half depth of cups.  Bake about 30 minutes or
until custards are almost set in center.  Remove cups from pan and cool.
Cover and chill until ready to serve.

* Roasted Garlic

6 garlic heads
6 Tbsp olive oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Using a sharp knife, cut about 1/2 inch off the top of each garlic head.
Arrange in a shallow baking pan and drizzle oil evenly over tops.  Bake 45-60
minutes or until soft, brushing often with oil.

Enjoy.

Rayne

In a message dated 4/8/00 2:01:19 AM Central Daylight Time, stefan at texas.net
writes: