SC - OOP Lebane

Seton1355 at aol.com Seton1355 at aol.com
Sat Apr 8 12:52:06 PDT 2000

I got this recipe from my Israeli list.  The writer eats it with salads.  I
drank it when I lived in Israel.  (It has a drinkable consistancy)
Phillipa Seton
<<
 I am enclosing the Labane recipe as you requested Moshe.
 See notes about the goat milk yogurt.

 Enjoy.

 Homemade Labane

 Ingredients:

 1-1/2   Liters  Yogurt (1% or 3 % fat)
 1/2  Teaspoon  Salt or 1 teaps.
 2    Tablespoons  Olive oil
 Juice from 1 lemon
 Olive oil to cover the Labane

 Direction:
 Put a sieve that is covered with thin wet cloth over a big bowl.

 In a another big bowl, mix well all first 4 ingredients, and let it stand
 for 1/2 hour.
 Mix well and pour into the prepared sieve.
 Cover it and let it stand for about  12 hours if the weather is warm,
 or up to 24 hours.
 If the cheese looks a bit soft, tie the cloth loosely and let it hang over
 a basin for another  8 - 10 hours.

 Fill up 1/2 a glass container with olive oil.

 With wet or with oily hands, or with small  spoon for ice cream
 create small balls and put them in the glass container. If you need
 to add more olive oil do so, until the cheese is covered.
 On top of all, I sprinkle some za'atar . Keep the container air tight.
 During summer I keep it in the fridge, in wintertime, you can leave it on
 your kitchen counter.

 I take from the container only the small portion that I want to use, and
 the rest I keep in its container.

 NOTES : For years I have prepared this recipe. We simply love it as a side
 dish
 with any kind of salads it is simply delicious with a good fresh bread, or
 pitta.

 The Labane is one of the dishes that most Israelis adopted, and grew up on
 it. Like I did.
 This recipe can be made with Goat milk yogurt.
 It is good to add 1 Teasp of Zaatar to the yogurt mixture before making the
 cheese.