SC - Thickening with egg yolks, and veal

Liam Fisher macdairi at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 10 06:38:35 PDT 2000

>Now over here in the UK, veal is veal. A very pale, almost white meat,
>with more in common with chicken than with beef. So naturally we're
>treating the stuff differently.

You can find that here too, but it's a general category for meat
that comes from cattle that haven't reached yearling yet here.
They have more strict legal classifications for it in the UK.

>What would period veal have been like? The Forme of Cury recipe
>suggests "Henn or Conyng" as substitutes, which make me think it
>was more of a white meat. But the previous recipe on the page,
>Monchelet, starts with "Take Veel or Moton".

Have you ever watched cook on TV when they are creating something and they
suggest other things you can use in a dish? I think basicially they list the
kinds of meats they had used in this particular
(I can't remmber what Conyng is right now for the life of me, but then
again, I've had no coffee today) dish way back when.

At least that's what it sounds like to me.

Cadoc
Cadoc MacDairi, Mountain Confederation, ACG
Shire of Abhainn Ciach Ghlaiss

"I feel the air rise up in me
Kneel down in prayer the stone of years
I wonder how well you can see