SC - harvesting sumac

sjk3 at cornell.edu sjk3 at cornell.edu
Mon Apr 10 08:49:24 PDT 2000

I'm pretty sure from what has been posted here (including the websites)
that what I have out back is the appropriate (edible) variety of sumac.
Does anyone know how and when to harvest it, and whether the fruiting
bodies need any treatment before using?  I never thought of them as
berries; my impression has been that they're rather fuzzy, but that may
be because the ones I've handled have been those that fell to the ground
during the winter and needed to be cleared away before mowing.

Sandra Kisner
sjk3 at cornell.edu