SC - esicium romanum

Gaylin Walli gwalli at infoengine.com
Mon Apr 10 10:05:03 PDT 2000

I'm trying to finish off the write-up for the Roman Noodles
(Esicium Romanum) for the feast I'm doing and I'm having
one bit of trouble with a portion of the recipe.

When making the noodles, you go through the mixing and
rolling steps, cutting the noodles out to the width of
about your finger. From there, the translation from
Milham's Platina says:

"Then when it has been drawn out to the width of a finger,
  cut it. It is so long you would call it a fillet."

Okay, I give. What's the "fillet" length in this sense? It's
certainly a reference to *length* because we already have
the width from the finger measurement, but I'm hard
pressed to come up with even a guess. Ideas?

Jasmine
Iasmin de Cordoba, gwalli at infoengine.com