SC - dietary restrictions

Liam Fisher macdairi at hotmail.com
Tue Apr 11 07:27:30 PDT 2000

>Hello the list!

Hi there!

>Just my thoughts on religious dietary restrictions (no, this is not a
>commentary on religion itself):

Good, that would give us all a headache.

>I cannot imagine that anyone in the modern western world follows religious
>dietary restrictions out of fear of being struck down by >lightning for not
>following them.  Therefore, I surmise (long words >today!) that they do it
>from choice, just as vegetarians do.

It could be out of habit as well, I have to admit that I find
myself falling back to my PA Dutch Salt-n-Pepper cooking background
more often than not when I'm just cooking for myself.  It's
habitual food, like a potpie or stew that I fall back on out
of my habit and Calvinist upbringing.

>Just as vegetarians are allowed to follow their chosen diet without being
>told what fools they are for doing so, I suggest that those of >us who
>choose to follow religious diets be allowed the same freedom.

Yeah, but then again, what gives you the right to impose it on us?
I mean if you're asking for special dishes at an event, I've made
a point to let people I know when something they don't eat is going
by them, but if you have a special dietary concern, religious or medical (I
myself can't eat shellfish) then you should let the troll
know in advance so they can tell the feast-o-crat in advance so they
can either flag the dishes ahead of time or maybe make a smaller portion
(which I have done in the past) without the offending ingredient.

I do harass Vegetarians about their diets, but not the religious
folk...

>Yes, I do fast during Lent, even though my denomination does not require
>it.  I do it as a personal expression of my religion, and >object to being
>told not to.  Sorry if I'm being touchy, but here >people are gearing up
>for
>Pesach, which allows the things Lent doesn't, and bans the things Lent
>allows...

Hey, if you don't eat you don't eat, no skin off of my head.  Keep
the reasons to yourself unless people get pushy, just so long as
you don't kill yourself in the process.

>As regards food while fasting, I think it pefectly reasonable to ask why a
>restriction may disallow something, without getting into >culinarily
>irrelevant politico-religious discussions (I said I was >using long words
>today - eek!).

Better than Socioeconomic relevance, which it all has loads of. I don't
consider Lent to be really a fast, in comparison to other
religions whom require you to spend days/weeks without food.

Of course, that's where recipes like sekanjabin and such come in,
because while you might not be able to eat, you are allowed to
drink...the Moslems used that loophole perfectly.

BTW, mustard is in the cabbage family.

>P.S.  Is it called fasting because the funny diet goes through you
>quicker??   Sorry...

It's one thing to be a regular guy, it's another thing to be
unstoppable...have some more cabbage.

Cadoc
Cadoc MacDairi, Mountain Confederation, ACG
Shire of Abhainn Ciach Ghlaiss

C'thuhlu loves the little children,
All the children of the world.
Be they boiled or baked or fried,
barbequed or on the side.
C'thulhu loves the little children of the world