sumac (was RE: SC - Re: Potatos Again)

Tue Apr 11 08:51:43 PDT 2000

Mangos are members of the sumac family, and I haven't seen many of them in
the Continental U.S., so a lot depends on what is precisely meant by sumac.
Fortunately, mangos are not commonly referred to as sumacs.

True sumacs are genus Rhus, but I don't know if all species of the genus can
survive in cold climates.  Sumac is a common term, usually applied to the
species of Rhus which grow in the local area, so the sumac being discussed
may not be the sumac which you find in Conneticut.

Bear