SC - Brussels sprouts, Rosenkohl // What is "Tyffan"? // Bohe mian cookbook

ChannonM at aol.com ChannonM at aol.com
Tue Apr 11 16:55:37 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/11/00 4:53:56 PM Eastern Daylight Time,Bear writes:

<< The best potential reference I have seen is that brussels sprouts and
 kohlrabi are first mentioned in Rembert Dodoens' (Dodonaeus) "Cruydeboek" of
 1554.  I have not been able to locate a copy of this work to verify the
 statement.  The original work is in Dutch.

 Bear >>

I just saw a reference to kohlrabi in I believe a much earlier (maybe 12 C)
list of stores or goods available from the grounds of the French King at the
time. I'll check it out again and report back. I was thrilled at the list of
food items, but was researching 12th C Ireland at the time and skipped it (I
knew I should have saved) It's on a web site of Medieval manuscripts.

Hauviette