SC - onion cutting

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Thu Apr 13 22:51:39 PDT 2000

Jasmine commented:
> ...we have a lot of onions to chop for the feast. A very
> nice lady who I won't out publicly on the list, privately
> suggested that swimming goggles, known for their tight
> seal around the eye, are the perfect way to combat the
> typical tears from cutting too many onions. I plan to use
> her suggestion for the feast. (So another warning, if you
> show up...not only may we be doing the Time Warp, but
> we may look funny.)

If I remember correctly, various suggestions have been made on this
list for reducing the irritation when cutting onions. I think cutting
the onions when they have been cooled in the refrigerator was one of
them. I'm likely to have saved these comments in this file in the
FOOD-VEGETABLES section of the Florilegium:
onions-msg        (24K) 11/30/99    Period onions. Scallions, shallots. recipes.

If not there, then I would check these:
root-veg-msg     (111K)  2/17/00    Medieval and period root vegetables.
vegetables-msg    (95K) 12/ 8/99    Period vegetables. Recipes.

Perhaps you can keep some of these other suggestions in mind in
case the goggles don't work because of fogging up or other reasons.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net