SC - Peeling garlic and chopping onions

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Fri Apr 14 23:17:00 PDT 2000

'Lainie said:
> And I have one of those no-onion bars. It really works- they claim
> something about ionization. I don't care why. But what's bad about the
> smell of onions?

Thank you for this message, Lainie. I've seen those no-onion bars in
the store and wondered if they worked or were just a gimmick. I have
some plate stainless steel pieces around here, but they are only 1/16
thick so they might be rather rough on your hands even if the edges
were rounded well. Maybe I'll buy one of these bars. Do they work
on garlic and other odors?

Along that line of garlic, since there have been some recent recipes
here that required a lot of peeled garlic (1 1/2 cups?), do you all
have any recommendations on peeling garlic? I got better as I got
along, but it still took a while to peel that many garlic cloves.
I remember seeing some plastic? sheets that you wrapped around the
clove and then rolled between your fingers. I was rolling the each
clove between my hands this last time, but sometimes it worked better
on some cloves than others. And my hands did smell like garlic for
quite a while.

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net