SC - poached figs in spiced honey syrup

Robin Carroll-Mann harper at idt.net
Sun Apr 16 07:35:13 PDT 2000

And it came to pass on 16 Apr 00,, that Philip & Susan Troy wrote:

> Not intended as a criticism of the gentles referenced above, or of their
> views; it just made for a convenient illustration. The fig recipe looks
> lovely, and it seems to have something in common with medieval recipes.
> But that could, of course, be purely coincidental: so does a cheeseburger.
>
> Adamantius

Fruits preserved in syrup with sweet spices are period.  For example,
the _Libre de Totes Maneres de Confits_ says to preserve dates in
honey with ginger and cloves.  I haven't come across a recipe for dates
in spiced syrup, though Apicius and Platina say that one can preserve
fresh figs by placing them in honey, not touching each other.

And yes, it does look yummy.

Brighid, whose project today is to make 4 different kinds of charoset for
Passover, *then* start baking the desserts she promised to provide...

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann
harper at idt.net