SC - poached figs in spiced honey syrup

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Sun Apr 16 21:33:21 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/16/00 5:53:28 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
CBlackwill at aol.com writes:

<< Just make sure that your research is sound, and  your substitutions
reflect
 the common culinary practices of the day (and place), and make all the
 substitutions you wish.  >>

Is such a list of  substitutions available? More importantly are there any
manuscripts which give details about exactly how a period cook would have
substituted and what would have been substituted for what? I am only aware of
specific substitutions detailed in specific recipes.

Ordinary day to day cooking would have been hit and miss as it is today but
from the manuscripts that we have available, it is pretty clear that  with
regard to both 'feast' dishes and menus,  they were pretty much 'ritualized'
and certainly were not every day fair.

We know little about the preparation of everyday noble fair and nothing about
peasant cookery.

If there is a source for generalized substitutions for feast dishes, I would
love to see it.

Thanks in advance.

Ras