SC - Plastic Ware

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Sun Apr 16 23:42:35 PDT 2000

Marian said:
> Oh that sounds like it would be wonderful!  Have you considered leaving your
> bread outside of the wrapping so that it would actually get stale?  Or maybe
> toasting it?

The problem with making trenchers out of modern bread slices is that they
are actually a little too small and a little too thin. There are some
pretty good descriptions of how to carve trencher loaves into trenchers
in the period literature. Also, the bread in trenchers was a little
different from the normal "good" medieval bread as well as being
several days old.

However, maybe a stack of whole wheat bread slices might be a reasonable
attempt expecially under a two week long camping event. Unfortunately,
I don't know where any of the ovens at Pennsic will be this year. Perhaps
one of those groups would be interested in making some trencher loaves
or selling us their discards/stale bread.

If in the latter case, we can't get much, maybe we could do a few meals
using trenchers. It would be interesting to do.

This last year, I was one of the folks in the Caer Frig (now SPCA)
campsite who brought his pewter feastgear to Pennsic. And I was
flying in.

For those who would like to see more details on trenchers, check this
file in the FOOD-BREADS-GRAINS section of my files:
trenchers-msg     (32K)  9/15/99    Wooden and bread trenchers. Plates.
- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas           stefan at texas.net