SC - Lighting for cooking and camp

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Mon Apr 17 23:37:06 PDT 2000

hey all from Anne-Marie

on the subject of lighting in camp...

I think its important to remember that medieval people didnt have this
problem. They would have guaged their day, especially when on the road, by
where the sun was.

when I do my medieval encampment, we eat dinner and try to finish the
dishes before dark (of course its helped by the fact that in full summer
its light till 10pm or so up here). If we want to sit up and play games, or
have to finish that one more pot even though its dark out, we use some
candle lanterns hung over the wash table/game table. In my tent I use
pillar candles in a broken 15th century balustre mug (just like in the MOL
book :)). we also have a candle chandalier hung in our dining tent.

But we always remind ourselves that to extend the day like this is not
really medieval....
(though I fully realize that not everyone chooses to play the way we do! :))

hope this helps some....
- --AM