SC - gays-an apology (and a rant)

Elaine Koogler ekoogler at chesapeake.net
Tue Apr 18 08:06:08 PDT 2000

I guess some of us found it insensitive because we were unaware of your personal
life.  I do know that it seems to be a common thing among various
religious/racial/sexual preference groups that it is ok for jokes of this nature
to be told by a member of the group, but that it is unacceptable for the same
joke to be told by one who is not a member of the group.  As most of us do not
know each other personally but only through what we read on this list, we have
no way of really knowing who belongs to which group, if any.  I know that it is
perfectly ok for me or someone who also has an amply-endowed body to tell "fat"
jokes, but I do get a little hurt if a lovely slender person tells one!

I guess, if we're going to make comments like this, we might want to preface our
remarks somehow to let others on the list know that we are part of the group we
are joking about...that might make it a little better!

Kiri