SC - gays-an apology (and a rant)

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Tue Apr 18 08:41:03 PDT 2000

    There's a difference between lighthearted humor (whatever the level of
insensitivity) and nasty. You can tell when something is meant in a snide,
derogatory, denigrating manner. There's a malevolence that cannot be hidden.
But bantering jokes that don't demean shouldn't be scrutinized for nuance
and hidden insensitivity. Down that road lies the Orwellian world of
Newspeak, and the kind of rigid PC thought control now infesting college
campuses around the country.
    Humor is humor - there shouldn't be classifications of who can tell what
jokes. If a bit of banter isn't malicious in tone, just accept it as banter!
Hey, they're only electrons. I have a personal policy of never ascribing to
malice that which can be explained by simple stupidity, and it generally
works.
    I do find it rather interesting, though, that people who are NOT members
of a given group tend to be the loudest in denouncing perceived slights
against that group. Another doctoral thesis topic, anyone?

    Sieggy