SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2152 egg sizes

Kay Loidolt mmkl at indy.net
Tue Apr 18 21:15:03 PDT 2000

Johann von Metten, medieval poultrier responds:

> Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 17:38:12 -0500
> From: "Mark.S Harris" <rsve60 at email.sps.mot.com>
> Subject: SC - period egg sizes
>
> We have debated how big period eggs were here before.
>
> However, I just bought some eggs from a friend here
> at work. His kids are raising 18 chickens. And since
> that many eggs are a bit much for one family to consume
> he is selling them for $1.25 (US) per dozen. So now I
> get to try some real fresh eggs vs. the ones I've been
> buying in the grocery. And I've never had brown-shelled
> eggs before, although that probably doesn't change the
> taste any.
>
> Anyway, what he brought up is that the eggs are getting
> bigger as the chickens get older. Now they should stabalize
> out to a particular size, but that might have taken much
> longer in the Middle Ages for each chicken due to nutrition
> or breeding. Today's egg laying chickens in factory
> environments may live a very compressed life. Grow up
> quick, lay eggs for a while, and be killed as soon as the
> egg production or egg size drops off.
>
> Thus I wonder if the medieval chicken, even on an individual
> basis might have laid a larger variety of egg sizes. Also, we end up
>sorting eggs by size because we can in the quantities we handle, even
>from one producer. Maybe a large manor getting a large quantity of eggs
>might sort by size, but smaller, poorer, outfits might not have had the
>quantity of eggs at any one time to sort them by size. Plus if these
>were eggs that came from your serfs and workers I imagine you would
> still use all the eggs, whether large or small.
>
> I wonder if we have any rent records that call for x number of large
>eggs or somesuch as opposed to simply saying x number of eggs. And if
>so, how is the size measured or described? If you don't specify the
>size, I would expect the lord to get the smallest of the available eggs.
>
> Comments?
>
> Lord Stefan li Rous (posting from work)
> stefan at texas.net
>  Johann von Metten, medieval poultrier, responds:

Ja, Wohl Variety is everything!! The age of the hen and breed is the
greatest determinate regarding egg size, while the diet and lifestyle of
the bird has the greatest impact on the egg taste, ie richness, color,
texture and consistency.

 The medieval poultrier would have a wide variety of egg sizes available
and would even have kept different ages of birds separated in order to
make the gathering of size specific eggs easier.
 The larger eggs would go to either market or the manor house while the
smaller eggs might be used by the poultier him/herself, excpet for the
Spring eggs which would be large and be set aside for hatching