SC - period egg sizes

Bronwynmgn at aol.com Bronwynmgn at aol.com
Wed Apr 19 16:17:12 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/18/2000 7:38:12 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Morses3 at aol.com writes:

<< And finally, to help keep the topic period, what is everyone's favorite or
 most successful period dish where eggs are a primary ingredient? >>

The one I've been making all my life without knowing it was period:

>From the manuscript Harleian MS. 279, (circa 1430):
xlix. Hanoney. Take an draw þe Whyte & þe ?olkys of þe Eyroun þorw a
straynoure; þan take Oynonys, & schrede hem smal; þan take fayre Boter or
grece, & vnneþe kyuer þe panne þer-with, an frye þe Onyonys, & þan caste þe
Eyroun in þe panne, & breke þe Eyrouns & þe Oynonys to-gederys; an þan lat
hem frye togederys a litel whyle; þan take hem vp, an serue forth all
to-broke to-gederys on a fayre dyssche.

49. Hanoney. Take and draw the White & the yolks of the Eggs through a
strainer; then take Onions, & shred them small; then take fair Butter or
grease, & scarcely cover the pan therewith, and fry the Onions, & then cast
the Eggs in the pan, & break the Eggs & the Onions together; and then let
them fry together a little while; then take them up, and serve forth all
broken together on a fair dish.
(This is Cindy Renfrow's translation to modern English, from Take a Thousand
Eggs or More.)

Basically, fry onions in a little butter, then pour beaten eggs on top and
scramble them together.

Brangwayna Morgan