SC - poached figs in spiced honey syrup

LrdRas at aol.com LrdRas at aol.com
Wed Apr 19 19:01:28 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/19/00 12:59:09 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
CBlackwill at aol.com writes:

<< It is my understanding, now, that the majority of
 this List requires "documentation" before they will entertain such a "far
 fetched" idea, >>

Frankly, I don;t see your idea as farfetched. The major difficulty I have
with it is that the recipes we have which were destined for service in noble
feasts seem to be pretty much standard across the centuries. That is until
after 1450 CE when cookery took a decided turn toward what has been referred
to as early modern.

The cooks that would have prepared the feasts from the manuscripts were guild
members and as such they would have had to show their expertise by
reproducing known dishes as closely as they could to their 'Masters'. While
it is a given that modern cooking students must learn basic techniques, their
ultimate success is 'creating' their own style of cooking.  If there is
evidence that this modern phenomenon existed prior to 1450 CE, I have not
seen it. That does not mean that it does not exist though. :-)

I think any of the cooks, either experienced in medieval cookery or new would
be happy to see evidence that cooks for noble households were encouraged to
'experiment' when it came to presenting 'official' feasts.

It is a given that everyday cookery was far different. In that we have little
disagreement. But then again we have no recipes either. :-)

Ras