SC - Dangers of pressure cookers

Michael Newton melcnewt at netins.net
Thu Apr 20 06:35:22 PDT 2000

I think there is a difference between plunging it into a sink of cold water
and letting water pour over the top; mainly that the pressure in the sink
was forced up against the lid which failed to hold and, in the second case
it's cooling down just a part, rather than the whole pot at once. I find
following the instruction manual is normally the best way of dealing with an
appliance.  I have run it under water and it's lost pressure without
problems.

On a side note, the cookbook _Cooking under Pressure_ by Lorna J. Sass
suggest that when you're cooking beef in a pressure cooker, its better to
let the pressure come down naturally to make sure  the beef comes out
tender. If you are interested in cooking in a pressure cooker, I _highly_
recommend this book, it not only gives recipes, but is a complete
instruction guide on the different types and how to use them properly.

Beatrix of Tanet