SC - molds for gingerbread

DianaFiona at aol.com DianaFiona at aol.com
Thu Apr 20 21:51:06 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/20/00 7:49:18 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
Black_Jade at bigpond.com writes:

<<
 I would suggest maybe using a metal mold for the baking .  If you want to
 use the plaster I would use the 'with breadcrumb' sort.  You can get some
 wonderful moulds in metal, mousse mold usually, but some wonderful designs.
 Or maybe, it's my experience that gingerbread is fairly soft when it comes
 out of the oven, maybe you could try moulding it then, while it's still
 hot. I've never had plaster explode on me in the oven though.  Maybe since
 I only bake at really low temperatures when I'm using it though.  How hot
 does your gingerbread need to be cooked at?
 -Katerine

    Plaster should be OK if it is heated slowly to thoroughly dry it--I've
used it for molds for pewter with no problem before. But, if you can locate
it, there is a wonderful site that sells period, and later, cookie molds.
They aren't cheap, but the designs are taken straight existing period molds
and are often very intricate and unusual. Unfortunately I lost the address in
our last hard drive crash and haven't found it again since. But I rather
thought I'd gotten it off this list--does this sound familiar to anyone?

                Ldy Diana