SC - Dumplings

CBlackwill at aol.com CBlackwill at aol.com
Fri Apr 21 21:40:12 PDT 2000

In a message dated 4/21/00 7:54:37 PM Pacific Daylight Time, LrdRas at aol.com
writes:

>  Could you share the original recipe (preferably also the English
translation)

>  for those on the list who may not have access to this important recourse?
>  have it but many do not.
>
>  Ras

Sure.  Here it is, as it appears in the Redon text "The Medieval Kitchen":

WHITE RAVIOLI

Take some good provatura and pound it well, then, while continuing to pound,
add a little butter, some ginger, and some cinnamon.  For one provatura add
three well-beaten egg whites and an appropriate amount of sugar.  Mix all
these things together.  Then make ravioli the length and thickness of a
finger.  Then roll them in good flour.  Note that these ravioli should be
made without a dough.  Boil them gently so that they do not break.  Remove
them when they have boiled, and place them in a bowl with sugar and cinnamon.
 You can color them with saffron.

Redon's Redaction (ingredients only, since the procedure is fairly well
explained above)

1 1/4 # soft white cheese
1 1/2 Tblspoons butter, at room temperature
2 egg whites, lightly beaten (I beat them rather firm, personally, as it
forms a better dumpling)
4 Tblspns sugar
Flour for dredging
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1 tsp ground cinnamon
salt
a few threads saffron, crumbled (optional)

I have found that if you substitute the sweet spices for dill and parsley or
tarragon, and increase the salt a little, these make great savory dumplings.

Balthazar of Blackmoor

Such a strange fascination, as I wallow in waste
That such a trivial victory could put a smile on your face.
                                        - Mark Burgess