SC - A new project....

James F. Johnson seumas at mind.net
Sun Apr 23 00:46:13 PDT 2000

Christine A Seelye-King wrote:

> Hummus is not precisely Icelandic but since peas and beans were being
> grown in the 12th century, maybe some kind of dip made with legumes is
> not too far-fetched.

Actually, he suggested North African fare as well, both for the better
vegan possibilities, but also because he's been know to appear at events
as 'Abdul'. I already suggested a small complimentary Turkish 'rati'
spread, for the more 'civilized' guests....:)

>         Would lingonberry tarts be closer?   You can buy lingonberries here
> preserved in jars, I would think they would make good tart stuffings.

Lingonberries do not appear in the archaeo-botanical record. Plums are
very common. Others, varying with the location, include sloes,
bilberries, blackberries, raspberries, elderberries, cherries, and the
smaller wild strawberries. Bilberries appear in the regional (Northwest
USA) edible wild plants guide, but the bilberries don't fruit until
about June. May not be in time. I think I can find a likely environment,
though. Most of these alone as whole and fresh would seem adequate, with
a little skyr on the side for those that wished to mix in the fruit.
Fresh fruit is elegant in itself. Why tamper with Mom's best efforts?

Dulse is available at one of my local stores, shredded in strips. That
will work, but I'd rather find whole dulse if I can. Not a significant
detail. There are more sources to check yet.

I experimented with making all rye flatbread yesterday. The batch I made
was very much like a rye pita. It even inflated a bit, mitigated by the
several holes pricked into each side. I could grow to like these. (I
_love_ rye)

I want to try my hand at skyr/syra production, as I want to try
marinating a joint of lamb in syra a few days before roasting it. Anyone
tryed making skyr yet? I've made yogurt, but not this yet.

Seumas