SC - Ravioli, dumplings, and excoriation

Lorix lorix at trump.net.au
Sat Apr 22 22:29:34 PDT 2000

CBlackwill at aol.com wrote:
<snip>

> On the same topic, I believe the terms "dumpling" and "ravioli" are fairly
> ambiguous across many cultures.  The French quenelle, the Chinese
> pot-sticker, and the Italian gnocchi all qualify as dumplings.
> Unfortunately, in mainstream America, it's not a dumpling unless it comes out
> of a Bisquik box.
>
> Any references for quenelles being period?

I am sure that I have seen reference to 'quenelles' in either Le Menagier or
Taillevent (I'm going from hazy memory and am at the end of wading thru 3 weeks
of e-mail & its late at night, so I may well be wrong ;-)

I seem to remember that it was associated with a roast (chicken I think that had
been gilded with egg) and it describes serving it with quenelles.  My memory
supplies a faint recollection of these being sausage like balls of possibly
meat/mince and/or stuffing.  Have neither time nor ability to check further into
this at the moment, but offer it as a possible prod to someone else's memory and
someone with more available time at the moment to check ;-0

Lorix