SC - shopping on a budget

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Sun Apr 23 11:39:07 PDT 2000

    Actually, I find that if I'm willing to shop well ahead of time and
store lots of groceries, I can usually beat wholesale prices by keeping an
eye out for sales. For one feast I did, I got salmon for $2/lb, and found a
sale on Brie and Camembert, 2 12 oz packages for $3. In both cases, I
grabbed all they had, and then went to another store (in the same chain) and
cleaned THEM out. And don't be shy about asking for rainchecks if they're
out!
    For spices that I don't want to buy a lot of, bulk food stores are
great!! I can get a little or a lot, depending on what I need. Warehouse
places are sometimes not so great - I find you have to do a lot of mental
math in those kinds of stores, and they can get very creative with how they
do their pricing. And I find that the wholesale price for meat is higher
than retail, generally. At least down here, anyway.

    Sieggy