SC - Documented Substitutions (Long)

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Apr 25 12:28:19 PDT 2000

CBlackwill at aol.com wrote:

<snip of delightful list of recipes>

> These are just a few I have noticed.  I have plenty more, if anyone is
> interested.  Again, I understand the concern for stepping too far away from
> the documented recipes, but this does illustrate my point that, indeed, the
> medieval cook was not as bound by the recipe as the list seems to think.
> Those who are in this for pure research will, of course, not be willing to
> make any assumptions from this, and I understand the reasoning.  But, for
> those adventurous few who are, I hope this helps.

While I enjoyed the list of recipes, I disagree with your conclusion.
You cited recipes that have alternatives written within them, but then
you seem to suggest (as you have been for some time) that these prove
that you can make substitutions that _aren't_ listed. It only proves
that that particular recipe has variations. You can't use a recipe to
prove that they didn't follow the recipe. It just doesn't make sense.

Personally, I prefer to thoroughly learn the existing corpus first,
before I start worrying about finding something else to do. And I don't
think I'll be done with that anytime soon.

'Lainie